Each and every day our calendars are filled with meetings: with our team, with prospects, with customers. We want to make the most of our time and ensure meetings are efficient and productive.
Here are a few tips that have helped me plan for an effective meeting that ensures decisions are on track and meeting goals are met.
Effective Meeting Strategies
- Create an agenda that details the topics that need to be discussed and how much time you would like to spend on it.
- Establish ground rules beforehand and ask participants to have conversations that are held with the entire group. No sidebar remarks!
- Ensure all participants know what is expected of them prior to the scheduled meeting, which should be included with agenda.
- Create expectations that a decision will be made during the meeting and drive for a consensus.
- As host, move the meeting along according to the agenda to remain on track. Encourage all to contribute to the session.
- Schedule your meetings in advance to allow participants to block out necessary time on their calendars. This will ensure their attendance and willingness to contribute.
Brace Cain, Atlanta Women’s Network member, is a Marketing Event Analyst with UPS within the Global Freight Forwarding group in Alpharetta, GA.